How to Register to Vote for Halalan 2022
by Audrey Ferriol on Aug 31, 2021
Yes, we in R2R care about governance. As a brand that is committed to creating positive impact in communities, we don't believe in "staying out of politics".
Politics and governance affect our artisans, our enterprise, and YOU, our advocates. So why stay out of something that impacts the people who matter to us the most?
So here we are, using our platform to make a difference no matter how small. Because any effort to make your life more joyful is worth it.
The deadline to register is on September 30, 2021; time is ticking! And this is why we bring you a quick and complete guide to voter registration for the Philippine national and local elections in 2022 in the Philippines.
Note: This guide is adapted from Rappler.com.
PART 1: PREPARATION
Time needed: 1 week for scheduling
Most of the work happens even before you step outside. Accomplish all these steps to ensure a smooth visit to your local Commission on Elections (Comelec) office:
1. Ensure you meet these eligibility requirements
- Filipino citizen
- At least 18 years old on or before Election Day (May 9, 2022)
- A resident of the Philippines for at least one year and a resident of the place in which you intend to vote for at least 6 months
For many areas, this is your city hall. If you’re unsure, just run a quick search of “(your city) Comelec” and click on their official website or Facebook page. They will most likely have a booking system for appointments.
Make sure you check their specific office hours, as this varies across locations. Due to the high volume of requests and limited space, it’s best to book appointments at least a week in advance.
3. Print and fill out Comelec forms at home
You can find the official Comelec forms here.
Whereas most people need only fill out the CEF-1 and Coronavirus Self Declaration Form, there is also a supplementary data form for persons with disabilities (PWDs) and indigenous peoples.
We highly advise filling everything out before your visit, leaving just the signatures and thumbprints left to accomplish at the Comelec office.
4. Photocopy your valid ID
You will need to submit a copy of at least one of the following valid IDs:
- Employee's identification card (ID), with the signature of the employer or authorized representative
- Postal ID
- PWD Discount ID
- Student's ID or library card, signed by the school authority
- Senior Citizen's ID
- Driver's license
- NBI clearance
- SSS/GSIS ID
- Integrated Bar of the Philippine (IBP) ID
- License issued by the Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC)
- Certificate of Confirmation issued by the National Commission on Indigenous Peoples (NCIP) in case of members of ICCs or IPs
- Any other valid ID
For your registration appointment, make sure to bring the following to your Comelec office:
- Accomplished forms
- Valid ID and photocopy of ID
- Own ballpen
- Face mask and face shield
- Alcohol or hand sanitizer
- Water (to stay hydrated)
PART 2: REGISTRATION
Time needed: 2 hours
Some procedures may vary between municipalities, but here’s what to expect for your Comelec visit:
1. Contact tracing
Visitors tend to be limited, so you'll likely be placed in an additional queue outside to fill out contact tracing forms.
Since you already filled out your application, this could be the longest part of the process.
2. Application review and signature
An electoral officer will review your application, indicate any errors, and have you sign in front of him or her.
3. Logging application into the system
Your application will be digitized and entered into the Election Registration Board’s (ERB) system.
4. Biometrics capturing
Have your photo taken and leave your digital signature and fingerprints.
5. Stub collection
And this is your takeaway from the whole process. Comelec personnel will detach, date, and stamp your acknowledgment receipt.
Now that you’ve read the instructions on how to register to vote for the coming elections, 1) please do make that step to register if you haven’t yet and 2) vote wisely in the coming elections.